It was common for grand estates of yesteryear to have some form of animal at the front gates to greet visitors as they entered. The Pillot House in Sam Houston Park by downtown Houston is no exception.
An Eastlake Victorian style home, it was built by Eugene Pillot in 1868. He ordered the dogs in the 1870’s. Made of cast iron, they were installed at the entrance to his house, which became a local landmark, partly due to the house’s architectural charm and partly because of the dog sculptures.
They were reunited with the Pillot House when it was gifted to the Heritage Society in 1965 and moved to Sam Houston Park. Unfortunately, the sculptures were cracked and chipped and required restoration. The originals now reside in the Heritage Society Museum. These Replicas were cast by Del Rey Bronze of Houston, and they stand guard over the Pillot House today.